Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
v-max motors
I was browsing the NAR website when I came across this article.
all V-MAX motors must have a redundancy deployment system in use due to snuffing of the delay charge due to acceleration g's.
this article is posted on June 3 along with Tripolli and voices their concerns over this matter. The restriction will be lifted with CTI can show that this problem is corrected.
I have not come across this and I love to fly V-MAX motors.
L2  NAR 89463....TRA 14014
Rod/Rail angle out dude.
John Derimiggio
The nationals tend to be a bit cautious when it comes to recovery... THEY SHOULD BE.

Unfortunately this is a hobby, the nationals don't have enough resources to to collect data, when enough people complain about a problem they react (to protect our insurance). The folks at MDRA (they are self insured) do a really good job collecting data and they don't see an increase in V-Max failures.

I wonder how much bench depth we would need to collect and report meaningful data to NAR?
Bill Clune L2 | NAR#88583
MARS Club|SRC|METRA|MDRA - Forever
Photo 
(07-13-2016, 07:26 PM)jderimig Wrote: Rod/Rail angle out dude.

Agreed.  I had posted on the FB page a very simple electronic single-deploy at apogee configuration that can go into your nose cone if you replace the closed end of a plastic nosecone with a plywood bulkhead.  Switch can be twist and tuck with the wire coming out of the rocket's vent hole. I have used this many times and it has been very reliable.

This is the link to the Rocketry Forum discussion on the issue.  I describe my SD electronics configuration here. http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread....st1589683.

(07-17-2016, 09:16 AM)bclune Wrote: The nationals tend to be a bit cautious when it comes to recovery... THEY SHOULD BE.

Unfortunately this is a hobby, the nationals don't have enough resources to to collect data, when enough people complain about a problem they react (to protect our insurance). The folks at MDRA (they are self insured) do a really good job collecting data and they don't see an increase in V-Max failures.

I wonder how much bench depth we would need to collect and report meaningful data to NAR?

We should be reporting CATOs and other motor failures to the NAR.  The LCO could mark it on the flight card and set the card aside into a "failure folder."
Evan Brown
NAR# 92851
Level 2
CATO info is fairly simple a lot of flyers do it. http://www.motorcato.org/

For 3 yrs at the other club. especially at the June launch and at 3 RedGlares i tracked recovery failures and went and looked at the corpse of the rocket to see why it failed. That was en lighting, not something i could do as much as is needed.
Bill Clune L2 | NAR#88583
MARS Club|SRC|METRA|MDRA - Forever