Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honest John weekend Aug22-23
By decree of the Vileria's and me, the August 22-23 launch will be an official Honest John weekend.  Bring and fly your Honest John's big and small.  A display area will be set up where all the Honest John's will be displayed. 

There will be prizes for the best looking Honest John, best Honest John flight, worst Honest John flight, funniest Honest John flight,  scariest Honest John flight, highest Honest John flight, lowest Honest John flight, most disappointing Honest John flight, best looking Honest John owner, funniest looking Honest John owner, longest Honest John recovery, closest Honest John to the pad and a Honest John shovel recovery award if applicable.

Other rockets will be allowed too.
John Derimiggio
What kind of prizes are we talking about?
I would think I could easily win best looking honest john owner award Smile Smile Big Grin Big Grin
Bill Clune L2 | NAR#88583
MARS Club|SRC|METRA|MDRA - Forever
The longest Honest John recovery I could do without winning.  If I had an Honest John that is.  ;D
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
This should be on the frontpage shouldn't it??

Ohh,
BTW I am in, I have an unopened estes MaxiBrute hojo guess it is building time!!
In celebration of the upcoming Honest John Weekend, I put together a poster (nothing professional).  This way non-members and new members alike will understand just WHAT an Honest John looks like.  They can then ask the questions:  Who's is that?  How big do they come? Where do I get one?  What size motors do I use?  And the ultimate question?  Where can I build it without my spouse finding out, not to mention I even bought one in the first place.  ;D
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
I don't want to do to mine what dutch did to his but a 29mm motor upgrade sounds kewl. gonna need to make these fins stonger some how. maybe glass over them.
Bill,

The way I made my HJ fins so solid was I made plywood spars that was a little smaller than the fins then I laid a bed of epoxie into the one side of the fin shell and laid the spar into it with around a 3/4" extension coming out the bottom. Then I laid a bed of epoxie into the other side of the shell and flipped it onto the other side and taped the whole thing together around the seams. It did get warm but not enough to melt the plastic.

You will get a fin that is rock solid when your done and the spar extention can either be attached through the wall onto the motor mount or it can just go through the outer wall and be secured in place with a 1/4" dowel epoxied to both sides of the spar on the inside of the wall. This is how my fins are attached, and one of the last things I did to mine was put expanding two part adhesive foam into the fin can section for extra strength.

Of course if you wanted even more strength you could replace the plywood with G10.

The next thing I would highly recommend is to either sleave the entire body tube to make it thicker and stronger or just replace it with a matching piece of phelonic tubing. No matter what you do, if you build it stock and try to fly it on an Estes 'E' motor, you may get it up 100' and it will crash before the ejection charge. My personal feeling on this model from Estes is that it was designed extremely under powered in the stock version.

Dutch
I just wanna fly ROCKETS!!

Dutch
Your telling me I need to fix my HoJo I suppose. :-\

I did finally remember to get the parts from Ken to do it. Tongue

Have to dig out some White Lightning to fly it on. 8)

Al
you know as soon as you start dinking around with these things the can of worms open. now i know why dutch made his so heavy.
(08-08-2009, 08:23 AM)Bill Clune link Wrote: you know as soon as you start dinking around with these things the can of worms open. now i know why dutch made his so heavy.

Most rockets are a lot stronger than most people think, consider your sacrifice to the Gods rocket as an example.

I am not sure about your kits basic materials but if it has 1/8" plywood at the core of the fins that will be strong enough to at least try.  I use unglassed 1/8" plywood on my Mike 3 (or is it 4?) and routinely fly J712's with it no problem. 

I would just assemble your rocket as is and make a good silica reinforced fillet to the body tube or use a small piece of fiberglass to reinforce the fin mounts.

If it doesn't hold up so what?  Its got 4 fins, 3 will keep it stable if one breaks off and you can always fix it if you discover its not strong enough later.
John Derimiggio