Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chute suggestions
For my L3 project, I am looking at building an Ultimate Darkstar, which will weigh in at 45 - 55 pounds, depending on the build. It will be a 6 inch diameter, 12 ft long bird, all fiberglass.
The fiberglass components will come from Wildman's kit. The rest I will be gathering.
In looking at chutes I have come up with 3 main potentials - a Rocketman 12 ft ProXP chute which will (from an 800 ft deployment) drop it about 21fps  (if I go 14 ft I can slow that down a bit more), vs a Spherachute 12 ft chute (18 panel) which will drop it at about 20 fps, vs a Sky Angle cert Xtra large, which will drop it at 21 fps.
The Sky Angle has many less shroud lines, so there will be less chance of tangling. The Spherachutes I have used on my L2. They look great, and deploy well, but this one has 18 panels, so there are more shroud lines to content with. The Rocketman I have not used to date.
I realize this might be like asking what do folks like better, a Ford or a Chevy, but nonetheless, what recommendations do folks have for my choice?
Thanks,
Greg
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
I have a Spherachute and it has never failed me.

For my Darkstar Extreme (which I hope to debut at NYPOWER) I just asked Wildman what he recommends and bought one of his (SkyAngle clone).  I think its just 3 shround lines.
John Derimiggio
20-21 fps seems a bit on the quick side. NAR L3 guidelines suggest a descent rate of 17 fps.

Maybe bump it up another size...
I like rockets!
Thanks John and Mike.
I am leaning towards the Sky Angle, but whatever I go with, I will most likely go up a size to slow the descent rate as suggested...
Greg
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
Greg.

The secret is whatever brand you use is to get it to deploy.  The less shroud lines the better.  I've used them all.  Currently I use the ones Linda makes.  Hers are parabolic.
I used them on both of my L3 attempts.  Second attempt was successful.  My first attempt failed because one chute failed to deploy from the nose cone and the main tangled in the shock cord.  Second attempt was flawless.
Jg
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
Thanks Jim!
That's the major reason I am looking a the Sky Angle. 3 or 4 lines as opposed to 8/more..
Greg
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
A TAC chute with deployment bag is great! ( even deploys when rocket is destroyed! :-) )

David
Good point, thanks David!
I spoke to Tim L. at Wildman, and will be picking up my Sky Angle cert 3 Drogue, and Cert 3 chute (XXL) from him at Potter in a couple of weeks!
Now as soon as I get a little time, I will redo my Rocksim with the new chutes, and get everything in order so I can submit my L3 paperwork to Chris, and maybe then start building!  ;D
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
Greg - hopefully your rocket comes within +/- 5lbs of the projected weight. It is for this reason that I decided to refrain from purchasing or spec'ing out a chute until I have the rocket a majority of the way together. I predict that I will be at this point in approximately 2-3 weeks. Working on body work right now. I know I need the 'chute for ground test of charges, however I will probably add 1-2 lbs for finishing/paint and ground test prior to finishing the bird.

Just a thought!

Mike
I like rockets!
Thanks for your thoughts Mike.
That's exactly why I decided to purchase a larger chute. The cert 3 XL works, at 21 fps for a 50# rocket, so I figured I would spend a few extra $$ and go to the XXL size, which comes in at 14 - 15 fps.
No reason not to bring her in a little more slowly!  8)
Greg
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234