Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rocketpoxy
Have any of you tried Rocketpoxy?
It seems like an ideal media for epoxying the internal motor mount/fin cage.
With it combination of fillers, it is supposed to be among the strongest of epoxies for this application...
Greg
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
Greg I have seen that product and I am sure it works quite well.  I've never tried it myself.  I am more partial to http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html
I use this epoxy not only for fillets, but it is also used for fiber glassing airframes.  The bonus is that it works as well as the West System but you get more for the $.
Try some and let me know how it works out.
Jim
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
Thanks Jim.
There are several choices on the uscomposites site. Do you use the 635 (thin) resin with the slow 556 hardener, or the 105 resin with the 206 (slow) hardener?
The apparent advantage of Rocketpoxy for the internal work is that it already contains microballoons, and carbon fibers (if memory serves) and you can scoop it out in the 1:1 proportions you need, mix them together, and then apply. It is supposed to have the consistency of a thick peanut butter creme, so it will stay where it is applied while hardening.
Allegedly it is supposed to be stronger than several of the others out there, but that's the manufacturer's claims...
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
(05-28-2013, 04:02 PM)gyoung link Wrote: Thanks Jim.
There are several choices on the uscomposites site. Do you use the 635 (thin) resin with the slow 556 hardener, or the 105 resin with the 206 (slow) hardener?
The apparent advantage of Rocketpoxy for the internal work is that it already contains microballoons, and carbon fibers (if memory serves) and you can scoop it out in the 1:1 proportions you need, mix them together, and then apply. It is supposed to have the consistency of a thick peanut butter creme, so it will stay where it is applied while hardening.
Allegedly it is supposed to be stronger than several of the others out there, but that's the manufacturer's claims...

635 resin and medium hardener.  Get the kit and order 2 of the pumps.  (It doesnt matter which ones, 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, they are all the same).
John Derimiggio
Thanks John!
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
Also while you at it, order silica filler for strength fillets and thickening.  And order the QCells to make a wonderful light easy sanding filler and fairing compound.
John Derimiggio
And don't breathe that damn silica stuff.    Or sneeze when the lid is off.  It's a stellar thickener, but it does like to get airborne.

N
...or let Woody Allen help you mix the epoxy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHTcjZzSlAM

Just sayin'

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
That Woody Allen clip was a classic, thanks Dale!
Thanks for the advice on the airborne piece of that Nat.
John, the Rocketpoxy already has the fillers mixed in, allegedly in the best proportions to give maximal strength, and ease of application (peanut butter consistency).
If I go with the West system, I will have to mix 2 different fillers in correct?
Since these are going internal, I am more concerned with strength than appearance.
I already have the black Proline 4500 epoxy for the outside fillets, which I simply have to mix with the hardener (using a 5.5 to 1 ratio for this mix) and I'm set.
Thanks for the advice guys, your experiences are much appreciated! A lot has changed since the 80's when I was last in the hobby to any appreciable degree..
Greg
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
Greg,

I am using the 635 thin epoxy resin with the medium hardener. Supposedly 25-35 minute pot life...  But if you spread it out in a plate or a really shallow (yet large in dia) bowl, it should not kick as quickly.

I have been using the microballoons that are available from US Composites, although I am considering investing in the Silica or even the chopped fiber.

Just did my first set of fin reinforcing fillets. I made WAY too much epoxy and felt that I would not be able to thicken the epoxy enough with the microballoons to be able to do all the fillets at once. It's actually quite cool here in St Louis so the temperature is not helping "kick" the epoxy either.

I like rockets!