Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Practices for Reliable Electronic Deployment
(03-27-2013, 10:20 AM)Dale Stoyer link Wrote:[quote author=Dave Riedel link=topic=351.msg4085#msg4085 date=1364341769]
John discriminates against small rockets! The MARSA4 creator is rocket racist!  ;D

Well of course he does.  You only have to look at the size of a MARSA4 altimeter to know he discriminates against tiny rockets. ;D 

There is also the fact that they are $12 each vs. $2.25 for a Duracell.  Gets expensive if you fly like Bill Clune and never get the battery back.

Dale
[/quote]

If you never get the rocket back don't put a battery in it in the first place.
John Derimiggio
Not by me.  My altimeter size is dictated by my ability to see the traces.

However, my next altimeter in the works (MARSA64 ARM) is the same size but with more chips on it.
John Derimiggio
Doing.... what? Inquiring minds want to know (unless it is a secret, then we REALLY want to know!).  ;D

David
(03-27-2013, 02:56 PM)Dave Riedel link Wrote: Doing.... what? Inquiring minds want to know (unless it is a secret, then we REALLY want to know!).  ;D

David

Gyro.
John Derimiggio
Ooooh, it'll know which way up was supposed to be!!  Smile

N
Won't help Clune :-P
Holey Fracker, I missed the whole train and you guys must've chatted away over your cellphones than you put em up on the forum. O_o :o
Respectfully, I have to I disagree with that 9 volt statement... and resent that 77 IQ comment. I know for a fact it is atleast 80.
(JD)- I can see you are past quoting psalms. First the homo gorilla thing, now this?
I can easily and safely get 3 flights out of a single alkaline battery. Probably more. I check the voltage before and after flight.( which surprisingly even after sitting on the pad for extended periods of time dosent use very much power). Maybee the MARSA is an energy consuming hog- to run all of those chips, programs, displays, whistles, bells and what not.
Anyway 3 flights per battery is nearly at two year supply for me, dont you know!
Regardless, after their sorties are complete  the 9 volts get retired to beepers and remote controls around the house.
You could say I get more than my moneys worth out of em!  :o
Chris Prinzi
(03-29-2013, 08:32 AM)C. Prinzi link Wrote: Respectfully, I have to I disagree with that 9 volt statement... and resent that 77 IQ comment. I know for a fact it is atleast 80.
(JD)- I can see you are past quoting psalms. First the homo gorilla thing, now this?
I can easily and safely get 3 flights out of a single alkaline battery. Probably more. I check the voltage before and after flight.( which surprisingly even after sitting on the pad for extended periods of time dosent use very much power).

You misunderstood me.  Some people regulate an alkaline battery to 1 flight and out.  That is what I thought was not smart.  You are doing it right and getting the most use out of the battery.  However its still more expensive and slightly less reliable than a good rechargeable.

As far as power usage goes, very LITTLE energy is used in the flight. The vast majority is used on the pad and recovery.  Most altimeters cook along at 10-20ma current draw while they are doing nothing. (The MARSA is a smidge under 20ma). Lets say a rocket sits on the pad for 30min and isn't recovered for another 45min after the flight.  The energy used in just sitting and waiting is 75min x 10ma = 750 ma minutes or 12.5mah.

The energy to fire both ematches is 5 amps x 0.050s or 250ma seconds which is equal to 0.07mah.
12.5mah out of your battery when just sitting
0.07mah out of your battery when working.

So its not the flights that consume the battery it is the total on time of the altimeter.
John Derimiggio
Hey JD and the rest of you, I got one question for ya, why can't we use lithium pack instead of 9v batteries or heavy nickel metal batteries?? No wonder you guys buy a lot of 9v batteries and JD pointed out the calculations of the decay time of batteries' life.  Am I correct on this, huh?? :-[