Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RDF trackers
I'm interested in upgrading and using a tracker for my rockets. A few questions for those who may have the knowledge/experience. First, there are three levels of licenses (technician,general,extra) which level is required to operate a tracker? Second, which tracker (or tracker package) is the best/easiest to use in combination with the club equipment?, Third, how and or where is the best place to locate the tracker in a high power rocket and are there ready made tracker bays to house the tracker in ?  :o  Thanks all.......         
(03-06-2013, 12:15 PM)John Krichbaum link Wrote:I'm interested in upgrading and using a tracker for my rockets. A few questions for those who may have the knowledge/experience. First, there are three levels of licenses (technician,general,extra) which level is required to operate a tracker? Second, which tracker (or tracker package) is the best/easiest to use in combination with the club equipment?, Third, how and or where is the best place to locate the tracker in a high power rocket and are there ready made tracker bays to house the tracker in ?  :o  Thanks all.......       

John - here's my thoughts:
1) you need a technician license. There are study guides that have all the Q&A in them. Just make sure you get a current one. If you go to the arrl website you can find a recommended one. During a launch, one of us can work with you, until you get your license to cover the use of a tracker under our callsign.. here is the link to arrl:  http://www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license
2) Most of us use a Beeline 440Mhz tracker, the low power version ($59), with $12 extra for a SMA antenna connector. It can be found here:  http://www.bigredbee.com/zc139/index.php...cts_id=180
Also you should get the USB recharger/programmer for $20 more.
3) Best is to locate it away from an ebay, if you run dual deployment, to avoid potential interference with other electronics. You could mount it in the nose cone section for example. You can also enclose it in a small pvc case, one that clips onto the nose cone, etc eyebolt, which Jim Goggins came up with, that I also use.
Greg
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
I made up a bay that you can see photographed here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87612242@N0...18/detail/

I think the SMA antenna is unnecessary and makes the thing bigger.  I currently like small rockets, so that clouds my judgement.  However, the whip is durable and replaceable and simple... You MUST get the charger, unless you have some good RC gear to charge the LiPo battery- they require a specific style of charger and do NOT take kindly to being charged "wrong".

I can and have made cnc router cut nose-cone bulkheads and end cap plates and stuff like pictured above.  For nosecones, they are a pain because the inside of every cone is different.  Requires some fitting.

Nat
Thank you for the info, that answers my questions.........

JKK
Nice job on the build Nat!
I suggested the sma connector, as it makes it easier to replace the antenna should it get damaged, especially for those that might not be comfortable with their soldering skills.
Greg
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234