Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rounded key switches for dual deployment ebay
Dave I have had one shut off on me although it could be attributed to the crappy battery holders Ken sells. What I mentioned was from a lot forensics I do at all the launches we attend. We discovered the round key switch problem by hooking a light circuit to the switch and smacking on the table. Now obviously we don't have a way to determine the G forces needed to interrupt the circuit but 30% of them blinked.

Hands down though the biggest failure of deployment is hands down Crappy Battery holders, most notably when you get an apogee event and no main.

Greg the switches you have in the picture i have not collected any data on those -- never seen one involved in a problem
Bill Clune L2 | NAR#88583
MARS Club|SRC|METRA|MDRA - Forever
It seems that relying on the battery HOLDER to provide the battery CONNECTION creates the potential for trouble.  The holders I've seen make their connection by simple contact- if the holder fails in some way, the battery may be released from the contact points.

Good connectors are available for 9V batteries- the traditional clip on style.  Heck, even the CHEAP ones grip hard.  A pair of zipties, one the long way between the connectors  and the other around the middle will keep the battery from moving.  If the battery does shift a little, the connector will go with it, assuming you left a bit of strain relief in the wiring.  You'll need 4 holes in the board for the zipties to pass through. 

Smacking on the table could be VERY high g-loads.

N

You beat me to it, Nat. All of my battery holders (cheap metal clip type) have zip ties going in both directions. DO NOT SKIMP on this! Treat the deployment of your chute like your life depends on it (the club's may :-( ) )

The plastic switch version shown at the beginning of this thread isn't as robust. The metal one has a very positive detent in both positions. Not saying it can't fail, but I am pretty certain this is the best one available for a reasonable price.

David
(02-06-2013, 01:45 PM)Nat Kinsey link Wrote:Good connectors are available for 9V batteries- the traditional clip on style.  Heck, even the CHEAP ones grip hard.  A pair of zipties, one the long way between the connectors  and the other around the middle will keep the battery from moving.  If the battery does shift a little, the connector will go with it, assuming you left a bit of strain relief in the wiring. 

One more note on this.  Make sure you can pull those ip ties as tight as you need.  I had one wiggle out of the zipties (probably at apogee).  Still held on with teh clip so it still deployed but too close for my comfort.

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
Guys you can put zip ties on till you blue in the face. the problem is the Electrical connectors!
Here is the one kenny sells the connectors are riveted threw the plastic and the connection gets crappy. even the wip clips that many like have the same problem the connector loosens and for just a second the altimeter looses power and Resets. Sorry lousy photo

Solder the Rivet on BOTH Sides.... But most of the time the plastic melts.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bill Clune L2 | NAR#88583
MARS Club|SRC|METRA|MDRA - Forever
Linda and I use the type that is depicted in Bill's post BUT...these are screwed into the av board AND we kris cross the battery with tight zip ties.  We use the traditional  old reliable battery terminal clip.  I never use the ones that are on the battery holder.
Jim
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
Thanks for all the tips and discussion guys!
I had planned to use the vertical and horizontal zip tie method to secure the batteries, given the g forces they can be exposed to.
My plans are to test DD using the I-ROC that I L2 certified on last summer, and after a few flights, when I get comfortable with the 2 altimeters (MARS and Perfect Flight), then  I can transfer them to the ebay I will be building for the Ultimate Darkstar, which I plan to use for my L3 cert. If time allows it will hopefully occur this summer, if not then next summer.
See you guys tomorrow night!
Greg
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
Greg I will have two switches with me at the meeting for you.
Chris Prinzi
Thanks Chris!
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234