Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first fiberglass kit, and an old Big Daddy
My Thanksgiving Week projects.  The Wildman Jart on the left is my first fiberglass kit, while the Big Daddy on the right is 15 years old.  It had a fin broken years ago, which I finally got around to fixing.  I decided to try the chrome paint on the nosecones, but I'm not sure how well it will stand up as they're both poly plastic, which can be challenging for long-term paint adhesion.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ooooh!  Shiny! ;D

Nice paint jobs.  Like you say - only time will tell if they will hold up.  SHould be fun finding out though!

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
(11-21-2012, 08:20 PM)Dale Stoyer link Wrote:Ooooh!  Shiny! ;D

Nice paint jobs.  Like you say - only time will tell if they will hold up.  SHould be fun finding out though!

Dale

lol  Yep, I'm very pleased with the body of the Jart - it's about as close to a perfect rattle-can paint job as I've ever done.  The nosecones pass the "looks good at five feet" test, but the chrome really makes any slight imperfections stand out up close.  I definitely need to improve my plastic prep technique.
Try spraying it with a couple of coats of clear lacquer.  It might delay the flaking of the paint.
By the way, nice job on the rockets.
Jg
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
Agreed, that's a very nice paint job Rich!
I have used aluminum/chrome colored metallic paints on some of my smaller rockets with plastic cones.
No issues there, but they are LP..
Greg
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
Wait at least a couple weeks before you clear coat the chrome, especially if it is paint from a spray can. I've tried coating it before and even a week after the paint, the clear tends to bleed into the chrome, making it a dull gray. Love the Jart. I'm thinking of getting one myself.
Evan Brown
NAR# 92851
Level 2