Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scrap Heap
(11-03-2012, 11:15 AM)cprinzi link Wrote:As far as fiberglassing... i think everyone should try it- at least once.  That way they will never complain about the price of fiberglass tubing again!

I agree with Chris but everyone should make this attempt at least twice though.  The first if it was like mine, was a bit (ok quite a bit) of a Mess.  Wear old shoes,  clothes, and glass it someplace that you don't care about to much.  ;D
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
Glass with a sleeve from Soller composites.  Much more better.  8)

N
(11-05-2012, 02:32 PM)Nat Kinsey link Wrote:Glass with a sleeve from Soller composites.  Much more better.  8)

N

True.  So very true.
Jg
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
I spent the last couple days putting this together. The fin design changed a little. The rocket so far comes in at about 24 oz. 15 of those are in the nose cone.

With 3 centering rings instead of 2 in a rocket this small, I installed the middle ring first, then glued the forward ring on the motor tube (with shock cord) and installed that assembly from the forward side of the gody tube instead of the aft.

[Image: Scrap Heap 1.jpg]

There is 8.5 oz. of buckshot in the nose, so to make sure it doesn't go anywhere, I first drilled a 1/4" hole through the sides of the nose cone, then ran a 1/4" dowel through it. The buckshot/epoxy mixture then surrounds the dowel so the weight isn't going anywhere.

[Image: Scrap Heap 2.jpg]

Note the CG in the full rocket photo. this is basically a 32" long dart.

[Image: Scrap Heap 3.jpg]

Here are some pics. I am hoping to bring it in to the Jan 10 meeting, if work doesn't kill me.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Evan Brown
NAR# 92851
Level 2
Hey Evan,
Your rocket looked great and would like to see your finished touch up. It would be a supersonic model. How high are you planning to go for?

Smile Ken Kressler
It is probably transonic. I doubt that it would exceed Mach 1, but it will come close. However it was designed more for altitude. It is heavy which slows it down but at the same time gives it more momentum.
Evan Brown
NAR# 92851
Level 2