Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
September Club Launch
Inquiring minds want to know:

SO whatcha FLYIN?

The Jannie Ann is still waiting on parts so I can finish the stretch version, so it might not be ready to fly for a while.  I still have some minor adjustments to make to the Eyesore but it will be ready to fly.  Ruckus is a possibility, maybe on a K.  Gonna fly the Hashwing again and Nick will probably fly the Golden Bullet.

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
My LOC Weasel-- again.  I'm not going to step up the performance any more....  I added up the cost of the electronics in it, and I can't afford a scattering event....

I do have a WildChild that is similar to the weasel, but shorter.  It would be fun to get that built and electronics figured out for that one too.

Cheap thrills!

N
Got a "vintage" estes sidewinder that should be done in time.  Other than that I accidentally put the engine hook on the front side (opposite the launch lugs), it's coming out much better than the one I built when I was 13.

Really thinking about going for level 1 with the yellow jacket upscale.  I know it can easily survive a 3 grain H, but at 39 inches and 22 ounces empty, that would put it at about 2600 feet and thats a bit high for my eyes.  It's sized for big Fs to medium Gs.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Nat- How about your Gamma Star? Tom Kozuta has flown his, yours has been done for years!  ;D

David
Chris, you will need to use railbuttons instead of launching lugs if you are going to fly that on a H.
I did similar with my L1 using an Estes Argent that I modified for HP.
I used a CTI long burn H, to be sure the rocket would cert, but found the engine had scorched the engine casing (which Ken replaced) on the side of the core (which is off center for a long burn), so will stick with regular core burning engines going forward...
Greg
Greg Young - L3
NAR #42065
TRA #00234
I am planning to fly some smaller rockets this time around although if Ken could scrape up an Ellis I69, I'd like to try it on my Blue V2. Since I am not flying many and will be there Sat. only, I could vounteer a couple hours to be LCO or something.
Evan Brown
NAR# 92851
Level 2
(08-27-2012, 08:19 PM)gyoung link Wrote:Chris, you will need to use railbuttons instead of launching lugs if you are going to fly that on a H.
I did similar with my L1 using an Estes Argent that I modified for HP.
I used a CTI long burn H, to be sure the rocket would cert, but found the engine had scorched the engine casing (which Ken replaced) on the side of the core (which is off center for a long burn), so will stick with regular core burning engines going forward...
Greg

Yeah I'm talking about the one in my profile picture, not the sidewinder, thats a seperate project.  The yellowjacket does have buttons since I was told that F+ needed them.  The thing is definitely built like a small high power.  Plywood, ttw, epoxy, kevlar.  Ended up weighing about a third more than originally planned after all the epoxy.  I have a build thread on trf http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread....et-upscale  It's flown a few times on AT 29/40-120 G reloads, after that single use g40 torched it a month ago.  Used a g76 to about 1800ft, landed about 200 paces away.  I guess 2550 on a small H wont be too much farther.

Long burns (the cti 3grain h54 at least) actually simmed out to go the highest according to openrocket.  I'd probably pick the h87 or h90, the ough I think the 163 white thunder would be more fun/impressive.  But I'll see whats available, probably everything, kens got quite the inventory.  And I've simmed out expected alts and proper delays on all the available choices.
(08-27-2012, 08:46 PM)ebrown link Wrote:I am planning to fly some smaller rockets this time around although if Ken could scrape up an Ellis I69, I'd like to try it on my Blue V2. Since I am not flying many and will be there Sat. only, I could vounteer a couple hours to be LCO or something.

Are Ellis still certified?  I think they aren't.
How about an Estes Blue Ninja on a CTI E75 V-MAX
L2  NAR 89463....TRA 14014
I am hoping to fly Azzurra Short on a Contrail hybrid sparky.
John Derimiggio