Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JD Extreme Darkstar Build Thread
Yes, bad design on Aeropack's part.  There is no reason why the ID of the retainer could not be a little bit oversized to accomodate a little misalignment, or make the through holes a little bigger to allow some alignment slop.
John Derimiggio
Maybe they jsut expect everyone to order CNC aligned centering rings from Nat-tastic Rings and Things?  Or some lesser purveyor of CNC milled parts.

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
I could try that......... need to know the radius of the circle the centers of those holes land on.  After that, it's easy.

N
John Shusdock and I drilled mine without a case, I think we looked like keystone cops at the drill press. yes we nicked the threads on every hole.
Bill Clune L2 | NAR#88583
MARS Club|SRC|METRA|MDRA - Forever
(05-07-2012, 07:23 PM)Nat Kinsey link Wrote:I could try that......... need to know the radius of the circle the centers of those holes land on.  After that, it's easy.

N

I'll bring both the thrustplate and a 98mm Aeropack retainer on Saturday - take all the measurements you want.  I think there may be a market between 'I'll drill my own' and 'Buying an aluminum thrustplate'.  If you could generate a "replacement" centering ring with the holes properly aligned that would have value.  Way cheaper than a thrust plate and way better than a drill it, fill it, drill it again approach like JD is using.  Unless you like the challenge of it. ;D

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
Will it be ready??  :o
Depends on how much progress I make this weekend. Fins are in, but I cannot in good conscious fly a rocket that is not beautifully painted.  Stay tuned.
John Derimiggio
They fly better when they have a good paint job.
Evan Brown
NAR# 92851
Level 2
Build question for you:  I didn't notice in the pictures of the motor mount how you were planning on attaching teh recovery harness.  Are you still able to get a U-bolt or forged eyebolt mounted to the narrow centering rings or do you have some other build trick you can share? 

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
I always tie the recovery hardness to the motor forward closure.
John Derimiggio