Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JD Extreme Darkstar Build Thread
OH MY GOD! I am making a rocket from a kit! The last HPR kit I built was a PML Aammrraamm (never sure about what letters are doubled in that one) when first getting into the hobby.  First flight went into flame thrower mode and eventually donated that rocket to Nat.

Now I want to get a rocket ready for NSL and haven't unpacked, found or know where all my tools are after my move, so I am taking the expedient route and building a kit.

Other than my late Honest John  :'(, all JD rockets must have at least 6 fins (Delilah had 9).  So I selected the Wildman Extreme Darkstar.
[Image: ExDarkStar.jpg]

I should start posting build pictures daily.  Pay attention, this will detail the most esquisit build techniques I have learned over the last 8 years in this hobby.
John Derimiggio
Should I send the left-over kevlar cloth back to you?  There's enough to at least make a serious mess if not actually reinforce something.

Those fins I made you.....  :'(

N
No I don't need to reinforce anything, its a WILDMAN!  These things fly with N-10000's stock

I am still going to use those fins, but that project will be take longer.  I am still waiting for Red Arrow to fill there order, should have had you make the cr's and bulkheads for that one, still needed the mmt tube though.  RAH let me down this time, they were just out of the stock I needed.
John Derimiggio
(05-02-2012, 10:17 PM)jderimig link Wrote:its a WILDMAN!  These things fly with N-10000's stock

Not at Geneseo, they don't!  ;D
Parts unboxed.

[Image: 7137382481_079b5a9e8a.jpg]

Mostly everything needed included except parachute and alt bay sled.  All alt bay hardware is includes, threaded rod, nuts etc.  Just need to add ejection charge cups.

Note filament wound NC (no gel coat parting lines etc), very cool/
John Derimiggio
John
I know many that have bought and built that rocket.  It is a beast.  Almost JD indestructible.  It should fly quite well on an L.  I saw one at LDRS come down in two pieces but under no chutes.  It survived with no damage at all.
I even understand that it is Tom Jones approved.  :Smile
Jg
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
(05-02-2012, 10:17 PM)jderimig link Wrote:No I don't need to reinforce anything, its a WILDMAN!  These things fly with N-10000's stock

I bought mine darkstar to fly on a 75mm 7grain fatish white that should kick off the pad at mach 2.
did you get yours with the 54 or 75 motor, mine started with 54 and i used a piece of left over 3' to make the bigger motor.

Silly me I just noticed you said this was an Extreme that makes it 75mm out of the box.
Bill Clune L2 | NAR#88583
MARS Club|SRC|METRA|MDRA - Forever
If you need to borrow my 3-grain Cesaroni case let me know.  I don't think I'm flying it at NSL. 

Dale

P.S. It should have a better ride in the WIldman than the HoJo.  ;D
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
Tacking the CR's in place for the dry fit.  CA and fiberglass is a cool trick. You can use CA for dry fitting purposes.  If anything needs to be repositioned it is easy to break the CA joint and try again

[Image: 7004639640_9c9bb8fa7b.jpg]

The next tricky thing is mounting the Aeropack motor retainer housing.  The retainer mounts with 12 holes.  Getting all those holes right to center the retainer to the MMT id is tricky, even if you have a motor casing in place while drilling.

[Image: 7004642112_291a7b1952.jpg]

Drilled and tapped the 12 holes but 4 of them are a little off.  Here the view is shown with tape over the 4 of the holes I refilled with epoxy and will redrill.  Once this is in-place the next activity will be to finish the fin assembly and the bottom half should be done.

And Dale, I will probably first launch with a 2 grain 75mm which will put it around 5500'.  But keep that 3-grain case handy, I might just UMI[sup]tm[/sup]
John Derimiggio
(05-06-2012, 09:43 PM)jderimig link Wrote:The next tricky thing is mounting the Aeropack motor retainer housing.  The retainer mounts with 12 holes.  Getting all those holes right to center the retainer to the MMT id is tricky, even if you have a motor casing in place while drilling.

You think it is hard to align with a motor casing - try it without a 98mm case.  I didn't even own a 75mm case when I built the Thumper last year.  I was looking for a better way to do this for this year's build and found SC Precision was making aluminum thrust plates that are pre-tapped for Aeropack retainers.  This was extremely attractive since I am building a 5" rocket with a 4" motor mount, so I didn't want to keep re-drilling the taps on such a small centering ring.

The thrust plate is designed to transfer thrust to the end of the airframe instead of through the motor mount/centering ring attachements to the airframe.  Reduces stress on the mount and makes attaching the Aeropack retainer much easier.

Ken should be bringing my 2-grain case to the field thsi saturday so I should have it for NSL if you need to borrow it.  Hopefully I will fly my new build on a K-something to about 5k as well, but there are three days to fly so I am sure we can work it out.

Dale

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499