Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RedGlare XI a quick review
Team Clune stayed for the last time at the host hotel in Gaines, MD, the well water is beyond Gross now. We arrived at the field early (believe it or not) it was cold, windy our hands were so cold we had a hard time putting up our EZ-UP. All the rockets were flying over the flight line all I could think of is our Dave having a stroke!! note to Dave don't think about ever going there!

Friday, MB flew her purple PML Hydra for the first time on a CTI 38mm 3 grain, not sure the designation small "I" I guess. It flew perfectly straight up then was carried a mile down wind.  I flew my little dog on a loki H100 yes a commercial motor. I timed it perfectly so while she was coming back with the Hydra she grabbed the little dawg. Rocket Gramps flew this ugly yellow/black rocket he built from scrap parts.

Saturday started Real cold and windy and ended up just windy. I Flew my 3" PR G3 as a demo for Aerotech. it was a 54mm 5 grain K456 "DarkMatter" think of a SUPER Skidmark! now technically it was a commercial motor but since it was not yet certified I am calling it an EX flight. Well 54321 motor lights rocket goes up and before the motor burned out it was GONE!! never to be seen again... at least by me!

Sunday was much warmer but I was fresh out of rockets and had a big metal box full of 54mm grains so i was depressed. John flew flew his WM darkstar on a little CTI J motor it weather cocked bad but recovery was good. The entire drive home was spent figuring out how to buy a GPS system!
Bill Clune L2 | NAR#88583
MARS Club|SRC|METRA|MDRA - Forever
Step one:  Get amateur radio license, technician level.
Step two:  buy a Yaesu VX-8, or  the Kenwood receiver that does the same stuff
Step three: buy or make a multi-element Yagi (arrow antennas 7 element is nice)
Step four: Buy a GPS APRS radio tracker from Big Red Bee.

Expensive.

Or get the license, buy a used 440 receiver/transmitter with a signal meter, antenna, and drop $98 bux on a RDF tracker/battery/charger/programmer from beeline. 

Not as expensive.  If you don't bury the parts you WILL walk up to the rocket with one in it.

N
I bury them a lot >Sad

with GPS you know where the grave is, I lost 2 trackers already!

I think I need to do more research on mach delay, I thought my mars4 would solve the issue for me but that went poof as well. I set my rrc2 mini for 2 seconds delay I might need to set it higher. admittedly not sure what happened at RG as 2 seconds after launch it was GONE!! it might have deployed the main on top which would put it MILES Away.
yeah, burying them.  That's something to work on.  :-)

N
(11-24-2011, 11:12 PM)Nat Kinsey link Wrote:yeah, burying them.  That's something to work on.  :-)

N
burying them is not good for the rocket nor the GPS.  You might find it but you would still be out a unit and GPS is costly.  I'm just sayin.  ;D
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
(11-24-2011, 04:20 PM)Bill Clune link Wrote:I bury them a lot >Sad

with GPS you know where the grave is, I lost 2 trackers already!

Umm, maybe try using parachutes to slow your rockets on descent.  I've seen that work.  Or you can use Jim's method and shred it on the way up.  The resulting pieces are not moving fast enough to bury themselves.  ;D

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
I "generally" don't bury my rockets, mostly I just fly them by a combination of TRA/EX and NAR pink book duration and distance rules.
Rules are easy

1. mix own motor, Stuff as many LONG grains as you can stuff in the case. (Dont worry about pesky KN science crap)
2. make rocket out of fiberglass just in case KN science crap catches up with you. also helps with rule 3
3. passing MACH is mandatory MACH 2 or beyond is optional (see DeHate rules of etiquette)
4. variations on this rule are allowed but mostly popping the main chute precisely at Apogee is the key or allowing your machine to free fall from 14k (This evokes the MDRA pucker factor rules)
Sounds like these rules create an expensive hobby for you.  ;D

N
(11-28-2011, 08:53 PM)Nat Kinsey link Wrote:Sounds like these rules create an expensive hobby for you.   ;D

N
Ha!  Wait until he goes L3.  Smile
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
Quote:Ha!  Wait until he goes L3.

Muhahhahah

there was an "O" motor in our van on the ride home from RedGlare!!

Dutch foolishly thinks it's his

Muhahahhahah

6" 4grain motor should be nice with some of JD's fattish white, it would be like an O 10,000 8)

MUHAHHAHAHAHAH