Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banquet raffle
Quote:Why not fly the $40 altimeter I 'loaned' you?

Is there a $40 altimeter out there capable of Dual Deploy? I thought those cheaper ones were for altitude reporting only? I need a second altimeter for L3 next year. D.H.
David Haas
NAR #13780
Yes, there is. 

http://www.adeptrocketry.com/ADEPT22go.htm

N
I only loose stuff I borrow from Dutch that is a Team Clune rule carved in stone.

As for flying $40 altimeters I always worried about them handling super sonic velocity, but in the end I guess it don't matter. OK then, I promise to Loose YOUR altimeter NEXT Tongue
Bill Clune L2 | NAR#88583
MARS Club|SRC|METRA|MDRA - Forever
(11-28-2011, 03:43 PM)Bill Clune link Wrote:As for flying $40 altimeters I always worried about them handling super sonic velocity, but in the end I guess it don't matter. OK then, I promise to Loose YOUR altimeter NEXT Tongue

I'm just saying that if you are losing electronics do you want to lose a $90 - $150 altimeter or a $40 altimeter?  By your reckoning none of them have handled mach.  The Adept22 alleges to have an mach lockout similar to J.D.'s and has flown successfully for me twice in the Thumper.  Obviously I didn't break Mach with that monster, but will be certain to try it next season. 

For you it doesn't matter.  You aren't getting the rocket back so it doesn't matter what electronics you use. ;D

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
That $40 altimeter has mach detection??
I am definitely flying yours next! Big Grin
The only trick with the Adept unit is that the mounting holes are tiny.  If anyone is planning to buy one - spend the extra money and get the mounting kit as well. 

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
A little Birdy tells me there will be at least one large 4" out of production classic high power kit in the raffle again this year!! Bring lots of cash for the raffle folks!!
Thanks for the advice on the Adept Alt. I looked into it, looks promising. I had not even heard of Adept. The instructions don't say, but will it fire Quest igniters? That's all I've used, with 100% success. It can also be mounted flat on a bulkhead, important on my short 10 in. diameter airframe design rocket. The center E-bay needs to be short.

And I think it will take a small N to get it over mach... it's a fat tube fin design. If it survives going that fast. I wouldn't try it.

Anyway, I think this thread got off topic....

D. H.
David Haas
NAR #13780
(11-30-2011, 03:25 PM)David Haas link Wrote:Thanks for the advice on the Adept Alt. I looked into it, looks promising. I had not even heard of Adept. The instructions don't say, but will it fire Quest igniters?

Yep, sure does.  I used QUest Q2G2's in my ejection charges for my L3.  Worked like a charm.  Never had a problem with them and have flown that config twice.

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
David.
While we are a bit off topic here is my altimeter recommendation.  Cost is always a factor but...  Whatever you purchase, stick to the use of one or at the most two brands.  This way you never forget how they work and don't need to refer to operations manuals all the time.  My preference is the MARS and PerfectFlite altimeters.

Now back on topic.  I want, no need to win another MARS altimeter for my latest project.  :o
Jim Goggins NAR  L3