Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAY 16-17 Launch!
First launch of the season coming up. I want to see some posts of what you plan on doing, even if you are just going to watch.
John Derimiggio
I'll start.

New MARSA4A altimeter testing.

Flight 1.  Mike 3 (or is it 4?) 3" yellow rocket.  Loki H144.  Basic DD flight to see if baro functions work.

Flight 2.  If flight 1 survived.  Mike 3 on Loki H144 in Accelerometer apogee mode.  To see if the accel routines work (probably won't be perfect).  Will have timer backup just in-case.

Flight 3.  Mike 3 on Loki J812 woo-hoo! (if ceiling permits) Test to see if mach inhibit safety's work in Baro mode.

If time allows.

Flight 4.  Azzurra 48 (4").  Flying a K265 48" Contrail Hybrid Sparky motor with 6.26s burn!  Will need alot of ceiling and gentle winds for this flight to be a go.  If it doesn't go this weekend we'll try again the following.
John Derimiggio
I won't be there.  I'll be chaperoning my son's band trip to Cleveland.

There's always the next weekend, though.

Dave
I built a new Colonial Viper over the winter. I used Estes BT60 body tubes with 2 wraps of 6oz glass.  Also glassed the laser cannons in place. Maybe they won't break this time.  The fins are glassed tip-to-tip as well. In the biz end of things it's packing a central 29mmt with (3) 24mmt (1 in each turbo thruster).  I figured I can max out with 240 installed newtons.  I also put in an avionics bay for dual deploy. Rather difficult in such a small rocket.  Anyways, I was wondering if the clubs launchers can successfully ignite a cluster of 4 AP motors. I also just recieved a 2 part pyrogen kit from PML.  If anyone has any tips dipping igniters, I would appreciate suggestions from your experience. Thanks.
We can add a second battery in parallel with the regular one for a single pad- that should fire off the igniters.  Now, getting the motors to light, that's another question entirely!  ;D 

Nat
Michelle and I will be there for sure, but I don't know what we'll be flying!  We've been spending our winter and recent weekends doing house things.  Right now we have gutted two rooms and are about to destroy the kitchen.  Rebuilding work is scheduled to start right after this launch or the next.

That means you'll probably see me fly my tiny pterodactyl on a(nother) G64 or G71.  Or something like that.  That's if I can find my motor cases in this mess!

Still, we're looking forward to a weekend or two of relative relaxation.  No ditch digging, insulation bagging, or drywall smashing!

Nat
What's that rocket tube being used for in image27.jpg?
John Derimiggio
(05-09-2009, 07:52 PM)Karmicavenger link Wrote: Anyways, I was wondering if the clubs launchers can successfully ignite a cluster of 4 AP motors. I also just recieved a 2 part pyrogen kit from PML.  If anyone has any tips dipping igniters, I would appreciate suggestions from your experience. Thanks.

The 24mm will be the trickiest.  Are all the motors reloadable?  If so you can paint the grain slot/bore with some of the pyrogen to help get it started.
John Derimiggio
(05-09-2009, 10:36 PM)jderimig link Wrote: What's that rocket tube being used for in image27.jpg?

That....... is the 4' x 12" dog-barf conduit.  There is a 20" square of 1/2" OSB with a 12" hole in it screwed to the end.  To get the insulation out of the attic (without just dropping the ceiling and making the biggest mess ever) we dig out to the drywall in the attic and knock a hole in between the rafters.  Screw the dog-barf conduit to the ceiling and start shoveling the insulation into the hole from above.  55 gallon trash bags complete the exercise.  Need any wadding?  We've got 24 bags or so right now........

I think we should make a rocket out of the tube afterwards.

N
The motors for the viper are reloadable.  Unfortunately it's a heavy rocket with the 4 motors installed and weight in the nose.  It's 24" long and weighs in at about 50oz. ready for flight.  I was thinking about (3) F12 black jacks and (1) G53 black max.  Are the black jacks the hardest to ignite for Aerotech reloads?  If so, any suggestions for motor configuration would be great.  I can only fit the 29/40-120 case in if I use the av bay.  Thanks for the tip about painting the grains with pyrogen. I will definetly do that. 

Great idea with the dog-barf conduit. 20 years as a skilled carpenter and I never thought about that one.