Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Friday Weekend Launch
Hi All,

This is a reminder that we will be having our last launch of the year this weekend on Black Friday, 11/26/2010, a Research Day, Saturday and Sunday 11/27-28/2010, Commercial Days. Rain, Shine, or Snow, we will be there.

I will be going out to the field on Wednesday around 9AM to set up the range as far as I can. I will be leaving at 1PM and anything that still needs to be done can be finished up of Friday morning. If anyone is willing to come out to help with Range set up, your help will be very much appreciated. the more we get done on Wednesday, the sooner we can start flying on Friday.

Unfortunately there will be no vendors at our launch this time, it's too cold for one of them and the other will be in Florida packing up and bringing all the AMW equipment back to MA.

This will still be a great weekend as we will have Alan Miracle there going for his L2 certification and we will also have a bunch of collage students from a Buffalo University most of whom plan to go for their L1 certifications. They are a small rocket club that had contacted us via our website and asked us if we could help them with their rocketry endeavors.

We will also have John Tinelli there with his Intimidator and his Civil Air Patrol group flying his rocket on a big M motor. Bill Clune will be there flying his new 54mm capable rocket on some of his research motors and his flights will be awesome. I plan to fly my Princess Roxie and Marvin on some research M motors, and I will also have a Loki M1200 sparky for the commercial days and plenty of other motors and rockets to fly too.

I will also have hot coffee and coco available for anyone who needs a warm up.

Hope to see all of you there,

Mike Dutch

I just wanna fly ROCKETS!!

Dutch
Woops, forgot to state that this will be in Potter NY, All MARS members are welcome and I will not be asking for range fees. But if anyone should so desire to join PYRO for the $20 membership dues your membership will be good for next years flying season.

Mike Dutch
PYRO BOD Chairman
TRA Prefect; TAP
NAR L3CC

Dutch
Launch report?
I showed up on time but i left my motors at home AGAIN. Traded Dutch for one of his. John D shows up with new GPS gizmotronics he ask's if someone wants to test fly it THANK GOD. of course I jumped on him like a bad habit.

After waiting far to long for the weather people to deliver on the Blue sky, I decided to fly the gosh darn thing besides it was Dutch's motor!!

54321 NO JOY, Damn Quickburst POS. new igniter 54321 ignition!! ASGRARD hyperspace window open's in front rocket and it vanishes. Good thing for John D's new Gizmotronics!!. Hyperspace window closes, apogee event goes of as planned. fiberglass rocket now falls 7000+ feet to a not so graceful BOUNCE.

GPS no longer transmitting anything but that is OK John got the coordinates. off we go with my Garmin car GPS navigator. after not to long a hunt my volunteer recovery teem finds rocket in one piece so it seems.

The GPS unit punched a hole in the glass nose cone from the inside out. the contents of the AV-Bay are a bit scrambled yes Scrambled, busted sled, busted connectors, chips are missing, in the immortal words of Niecy Nash it was "a hot mess"
RIP my MARS altimeter.

All in all a GOOD day at the Field

Thanks John!!
Bill Clune L2 | NAR#88583
MARS Club|SRC|METRA|MDRA - Forever
Hi All,

Friday and Saturday were COLD and WINDY, Tom Walters flew some of his rockets on Friday and after walking almost a mile to get his dual recovery Ironman he decided that he got his exercise in for the day. I spent all day prepping Marvin to fly but the cloud cover never lifted above 3000' so Marvin had to wait until the next day.

Saturday it was even colder and the winds were stronger. Tom Walters did not fly anything because of the wind but around 2PM the clouds started to break up and we started getting blue skies. Greg Elling showed up and with the blue skies the wind started to ease down. Greg flew an alien invader but due to the cold and his plastic chute the lander section didn't fare well when it landed in the plowed field up wind of us and it broke off a leg. Then Greg helped me take Marvin out to the away pad and thank god he held onto the ladder while I turned on the altimeters. The wind gusted while I was at the top and tried to send me down the field. Back to the launch control and after a brief wait for the wind to let up, it was 54321; no joy, WTF, try again, 54321; again no joy. OK start checking everything, all the switches on the blue bank controls were on, I had the correct pad number on, I asked Greg why wasn't the Blue bank working? Greg said because he plugged the wire into the RED bank; #%&*$^!##*  OK lets do this again, on the RED bank; 54321 launch........EEEhhAAA, there he goes all the way up to 7440' and a perfect flight. The only issue was that even though I had the main come out at 700', Marvin still landed about a mile and a half away, about 600' off the East Swamp Road and in the middle of an open field.

Sunday the winds had become a very mild breeze @ 5 mph or less and the temp got into the low 40's. Then people started showing up. Alan Miracle came out to take his L2 test and go for his L2 certification, which he was successful in getting. Tom Walters showed up with one of his sons and a few friends and they flew a bunch of rockets all day long. Tom's only mishap was when the nozzle plugged on his Ironman flight and the motor burned out the side and destroyed the fins  of the rocket. Dan Sheerer and his son Dean showed up and they flew a bunch of Deans rockets through out the day with Dean recovering all of his own rockets. We had three collage students show up to go for their L1 certifications. I can remember Sean Lyons and his Dad, Jim, Andrew Dianetti and Robert, unfortunately I don't remember Roberts last name. Well with lots of help from everyone there all three students did fly their rockets but only Andrew was successful in getting his Level 1 certification. Roberts rocket broke the nosecone elastic and came in ballistic, and Sean's rocket broke his elastic and came down in two pieces without his chute, Sean's rocket will fly again some time. Dave Haas showed up but didn't feel well enough to fly anything but he was a big help with the collage kids. Bill Clune showed up with Mel and his friend Mike and two of Mikes Fiancés kids. Even though Bill forgot his own motors he did have lots of Estes motors for the kids to fly with, which they did fly all day long. One of Mikes (sons) did get one of his rockets caught in the oasis tree above us but his was the only rocket there at the end of the day. I did come with two rockets to fly, my Princess Roxie and my Eagle Claw 4. But between helping Alan and the collage kids and greeting everyone and keeping the hot water going for the coco and coffee, I knew that I was only going to fly one of the rockets. So I took pity on Bill Clune and let him fly the AMW Pro K950 Super Tiger that I had assembled for the Eagle Claw 4. I had originally built the motor for the 'K' drag race at Red Glare IX in October and I didn't want it sitting around all winter, so I gave to Bill so he could fly his 3" Wildman rocket. John Dermiggio and his son Mike showed up to watch and have someone test his new GPS unit. Bill ended up putting it in his nose cone and flew it to over 7000'. Unfortunately the nose cone didn't come off and the rocket landed hard and destroyed the GPS and Bills altimeter. But thankful to the last reading from the GPS unit Bill was able to find his rocket. So it looks like with a successful flight, (or even with an unsuccessful flight), Johns GPS unit will be a very good unit to have, I know that I want one when they come out even more due to this test. I was very pleased to see Chris Colby show up at the launch from Connecticut. He was in town visiting a friend so he didn't have any rockets to fly but he did bring a model rocket kit to raffle off to some lucky kid. So Bill took some paper and we gave each kid a number, (there were 8 kids there including 3 Mennonite kids), and drew a number for the winner. Luke, one of Mikes Fiancés kids won the kit, have fun with it Luke, hope to see you back flying it in the spring.

So finally around 4PM the skies started to break up and I decided to put Princess Roxie on the pad. Chris Colby jumped in the back of my van and we drove out to the pad and set the rocket up. On the way back past the launch control I told the guys there that it was 4:18 and that the sun would be down in 20 minutes so we should start closing down and putting everything away. I parked my van and went out to launch Princess Roxie, after a quick 5 count she flew up to 5180' on a Loki M2550 blue motor in my 75/6000 case. She came straight back down and landed in the field she took off from about 400' from the pad she took off of. Dan Sheerer flew his last flight of the day right after me and Andrew Dianetti flew his successful L1 cert too. We all pitched in to take down the range and finished up using car head lights and flash lights. Andrew held one of the flash lights so I could see to sign off on his Level 1 Certification.

All in all it was a great finish to the launch and the year of flying in Potter. I'm looking forward to the New Years Day launch in Geneseo and next years launch season.

See you all then,

Mike Dutch, L3
PYRO BOD Chairman
TRA Prefect; TAP
NAR L3CC

Dutch
The Marvin flight sounded like a good shot- including the recovery!!  Which side of East Swamp Rd was the 600 feet? 

What motor did you fly it on?

N
Bill,

Save the MARSA2 pieces.  That may be repairable.
John Derimiggio
Nat, Marvin landed on the field side of East Swamp Road and he flew on a M2550 Loki Blue.

Mike

Dutch
Quote:That may be repairable.

most excellent  Smile
Quote:he flew on a M2550 Loki Blue.
it was a loki (believe it or not) we have not started making blue motors YET
we tried making some last year and all i got was burn pile fun.