Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NYPOWER makes a top 10 list!
CP/M was pre-DOS.  Actually alot better than DOS (for its time).
John Derimiggio
The largest Digital Research licensee of CP/M was a small company which had started life as Traf-0-Data, and is now known as Microsoft.  In 1981, Microsoft paid Seattle Software Works for an unauthorized clone of CP/M, and Microsoft licensed this clone to IBM which marketed it as PC-DOS on the first IBM PC in 1981, and Microsoft marketed it to all other PC OEMs as MS-DOS.

Soo....  Early DOS
Bill Clune L2 | NAR#88583
MARS Club|SRC|METRA|MDRA - Forever
Ahhhh.  the good old days of the 8088.
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
I run Kubuntu because my older laptop got virus addled (no idea where it came from, but damn was it a good one) and I didn't have a windoze installer.... this is essentially the same and runs way faster than Windows ever did.  It doesn't solve the increasing physical problems the computer is having.  I need to buy a new one!

You guys are geeking out, big time.

Nat
Geeking out, ME? NO WAY!! computers and there related BS are how I pay the bill's that is it.
Rockets and related boomers that is my thing
(11-20-2010, 06:33 PM)Bill Clune link Wrote: Geeking out, ME? NO WAY!! computers and there related BS are how I pay the bill's that is it.
Rockets and related boomers that is my thing
It's not an either/or situation, Bill.  Computers and electronics are (as someone once said) kewl.  They are among the kewlest, most interesting things you can stuff in a rocket before you light it.  For some the electronics are the necessary evil so they can get their rocket back.  For others it's more than half the fun!

Dale

P.S.  CP/M is NOT MS-Dos.
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
never heard of cp/m before, just the articles i have read since you mentioned it allude to it as being the root of dos although i am sure MS wrecked it before PUSHING it to market.

EDIT: oops I see the error in my knowledge, MS purchased a bogus CLONE of cp/m to make dos. now it makes sence.
Just think MS got huge by being pirates!! with all the anti piracy crap i have to deal with every day that really ticks me off >Sad