Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
October Finale
Linda and I send our thanks to all of the Club.  It was another fun flying season with friends.  Even though it was a costly launch year for me (all my losses), there is always next year to look forward to.  Looks like my winter build will be extensive.  Smile

Jim
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
Jim,
I think the best thing for you is to attach a long wire to your rockets (like the military's TOW missile) so you can find your models again. If not that, I think a charge should go off after a certain amount of time ( a nice colorful cloud) so you can get a proper fix on it in the corn, beans, sky, etc.

Come to think of it, that could be a fun experiment! Wink

David
How did the October launch go? I was not able to make it. The weather here in Buffalo was raining Sunday until 2PM. I bet next weekend will be perfect weather. Sad to think no launch until next May. Gee that's a long time...
David Haas
NAR #13780
(10-04-2010, 07:39 AM)Dave Riedel link Wrote: Come to think of it, that could be a fun experiment! Wink

It's on my list of winter projects.  Well, something similar.  I'm not sure where NAR would stand on the inclusion of anything that might be construed as a 'flamable payload' - but then what are ejection charges anyways?

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
Dale.  After this fine launch season, like every rocketters progression into the sport, we WILL have TRACKERS for next year.  Fun loading, launching, and actually finding my rockets will be something I can tell my neighbors about instead of; Hey Jim...How many did you lose or shred this weekend?

JG
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
(10-04-2010, 09:13 AM)David Haas link Wrote: How did the October launch go? I was not able to make it. The weather here in Buffalo was raining Sunday until 2PM. I bet next weekend will be perfect weather. Sad to think no launch until next May. Gee that's a long time...

Dale.
Saturday was awesome!  We had a crowd like NYPOWER and over 100+ flights for that day (low and high power).  Sunday was a bit rainy in the early am.  By 9 am at the field, it was clearing and we even had some blue sky.  The only problem for Sunday was the wind was up a bit, but flights continued.  Almost every rocket ended up in the field (except mine that is MIA) and not in the crops.  By late afternoon, the wind was to much for most of us so we packed it in around 3:30pm.  Club members enjoyed a hot Pizza JD picked up as part of the MARS Finale.  We missed you.  Call a member, don't trust your local weather as the field weather is usually different.  If not clear, we socialize and eat.  Smile

JG
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
(10-04-2010, 12:09 PM)Jim Goggins link Wrote:   Almost every rocket ended up in the field (except mine that is MIA) and not in the crops. 

I'm reading this wrong.  Tell me you did NOT lose another rocket on Sunday.  Also tell me it was not the Smoke.

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
(10-04-2010, 12:34 PM)Dale Stoyer link Wrote: [quote author=Jim Goggins link=topic=144.msg1573#msg1573 date=1286208559]
  Almost every rocket ended up in the field (except mine that is MIA) and not in the crops. 

I'm reading this wrong.  Tell me you did NOT lose another rocket on Sunday.  Also tell me it was not the Smoke.

Dale
[/quote]

No Dale, I only lost the Escape Velocity (Saturday).  The wind was to much for me to launch on Sunday.  The Nike Smoke will launch again in the New Year, along with an assortment of other fun projects.

JG
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
I just had some things I HAD to get done on Saturday. The weather was supposed to be better (than it turned out to be) on Sunday, so I planned coming to the launch Sunday. I was checking my altimeter Saturday evening on my redesigned DD tube fin rocket. I really wanted to fly that this season. I pulled the altimeter out, and the wires broke the switch. Then I couldn't remember where I put the spare switch. Finding that, it took me until 1:30 AM to replace and solder in the new switch. In the morning, I was so tired, and the weather was so cold & rainy & breezy, I just gave up. That cold damp just goes thru you. The rocket gods seem determined to stop me from flying my first DD rocket, I just finished repairing it from it's "test damage". It's ready to go now, whenever there's another launch...
David Haas
NAR #13780
David,
We have the New Year's day launch in 2.5 months.....

David Riedel