Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cesaroni
I might possibly be in the market for a 54 mm reload case, probably 2 grain, maybe 3 grain. I've got 29mm & 38mm Aerotech, but I know nothing about CTI. I was looking at Wildman. Are CTI motors sold in separate pieces? Like, the case, then the aft closure. Then there was a "tapered" rear closure. What is necessary for a "complete" motor? Are there adapters to use a 2 grain load in a 3 grain case? And then there's the DAT. What are the parts needed to load a motor and launch?
David Haas
NAR #13780
David.

CTI is the easiest to load motor there is.  First of all the 29mm need an aft closure and most of the time it comes with the motor case, if not; for a separate small fee.  The 38mm need no closure as the grain/liner screw into the motor case.  For 54mm and above you need an aft closure.  The tapered rear closure is for specific type of motor mounts.  I never use the tapered one.  As for cases, there are spacers for all of them.  If you bought a 5 grain case you can then use spacers to use 2/3/and 4 grain loads.  I have all of the 29mm.  I have the 38mm and 54mm up to a 54mm 6XL case with spacers.  The dat tool you purchase for the 54mm. There is a dat tool for 38mm and you buy a reducer that goes in it to use for 29mm loads.

There are spacers for all CTI diameter motors.  I recommend you buy 6 grain in the 29 and 38mm group and then use spacers.  For the 54mm if you fly big like L's, then get the 54,, 6XL case and use spacers.  Of course it is nice to have a separate 3 grain case as the 6XL is quite long and won't fit most small rockets.

So, to sum it up.  You need the case, perhaps a closure size dependent, and a dat tool.  That's it.

Once you go to CTI, you will never want to load another AT case again.  Then again, I'm biased as I 100% use CTI.
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
David,

I haven't flown a lot of reloadable systems so I am probably not qualified to give advice on this.  I WILL say that Jim was nice enough to loan me a couple of his motors so I could certify and the 38mm stuff is super easy to load.  I did my L2 cert on Saturday and Ken hooked me up with a free 38mm 5grain case when I bought the load (Cesaroni certification promotion).  No closure needed and loaded in 10 seconds.  Loads are a little more than Aerotech but it was worth it for the ease of use (especially when certifying). 

FWIW,

Dale
Dale Stoyer - L3
NAR #91256
TRA #13499
David, after flying Aerotech and then Loki I tried CTI and never looked back. Bear in mind that CTI  provides an ignitor with each load(which have never failed to light the load), and I have never, never had a motor failure! I sing the praises of Cessoroni to any one who will listen, as Jim will tell you! Fly high, John
rocketgramps
If you like just flying rocket CTI IS the best choice. now that they have animal propellant they are really kewl.
Keep in mind real men fly EX
Bill Clune L2 | NAR#88583
MARS Club|SRC|METRA|MDRA - Forever
(09-17-2010, 10:58 AM)Bill Clune link Wrote: If you like just flying rocket CTI IS the best choice. now that they have animal propellant they are really kewl.
Keep in mind real men fly EX

Only if they can mix it properly.  Tongue
Jim Goggins NAR  L3
If and when you finally try doing reasearch, you will wonder just why you have been wasting your time and money flying commercial. And then you will want to switch your cases to AMW, Loki, or Brand X so you can do research too.
I just wanna fly ROCKETS!!

Dutch
(09-17-2010, 01:31 PM)Mike Dutch link Wrote: If and when you finally try doing reasearch, you will wonder just why you have been wasting your time and money flying commercial. And then you will want to switch your cases to AMW, Loki, or Brand X so you can do research too.

You can use CTI cases for research also.  They will blow up just as well as the rest....
John Derimiggio